I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Friday, November 05, 2010

My own supercomputer

I carry my own supercomputer where ever I go - I don't need to restart it or shut it down everyday , don't need to remove it separately to scan at the airport security check and most important it never gives up on me !!
I am talking of none other than the human brain which I consider the most powerful and intellectual system on earth . The more facts I find about it , the more fascinating it becomes .

Here are some interesting facts about the brain :
1. It weighs a mere 3 lbs and yet is the CPU of the entire body
2. It consists of about 100 BILLION neurons
3. There are anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 synapses for every neuron - that's how signals are transmitted across the nervous system
4. There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain

The brain's network of neurons form a massive parallel and distributed processing system , our acute sense of vision relies heavily on these fast and efficient functions .The brain is highly plastic which gives it the ability to learn from experience , intellect and the vast storage ground for memory .
Be it thoughts , dreams , actions , senses , knowledge , emotions - its all being processed by the brain . The tasks may seem so simple and natural but they are far from reality - for example laughing at a joke requires activity in five different areas of the brain !!

The amygdala - primitive part of the brain that works as the emergency button is the size of a fingernail . The pituitary gland is the size of a pea (weighing 0.02 oz) and regulates the endocrine system of the body . Who said size does matter ??

Be it functionary or philosophical the brain has been the central unit of focus - meditation , visualizations , brain teasers , constant activity all work as equipments in the brain gym trying to keep it active and alert .
I am amazed to see that so many people have spent their entire lifetime in studying how the brain functions - its such an irony that our brain is trying to understand how it itself works !!!