I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Present

Happily I parked the car in the parking lot at Walmart and merrily I walked into the store ... and then I stood still .Walmart usually has people to label your returns at the entrance itself , most of the times they employ elderly people for that since that's an easy job to do . Till now I used to feel good about it , keeps them active and adds to their income too . But that day I saw an old grandfatherly figure at the store . His back had given up supporting him and he was standing almost bent at the waistline . He had a stick to help him but he was finding it difficult dodging the crowd entering and leaving the store . We had a return item which we took it to him , I could see his hands trembling as he put the label on our return item . Seeing him , my heart literally cried . I felt like going up to him and telling him that I'll provide the income that Walmart does and he can stay at home and take rest but then I realized that's just a band-aid solution . What if he is all alone .. who would be getting him groceries or taking him to the doctor ? And what about the million others who must be in the same situation ?
As I look around I realize that ripe old age is a very painful age to be in - as the immune system gets weaker , infections and diseases are bound to happen . Frequent doctor visits , long list of medications are a norm and you would be lucky if you skip hospitalizations . Add to this the burden of staying alone without a spouse - relatives and children cannot fill the space of a life partner . At that stage , the degrees and positions in the resume and the number of zeros in the bank balance are useless .
It is such thoughts that shake me up and make me realize that I should cherish the moments that I have now when I am hale and hearty - enjoy what life has to offer , bask in the love and care provided by my near ones , spend quality time with my spouse and family .... for you never know how your tomorrow will be !!!