Decades ago , workplace followed a well defined path ... you start as a worker , a few years later you'd be promoted to a manager (hopefully) , a few more grey hair and you'd be in the next higher position and so on . Never did a natural black hair be a superior to a grey hair . A man learns through experience and the years of services was considered to be the added bonus for promotion .
Today the polarity of the workplace seems to have changed . And I struggle to fit myself in such an environment - we are good size team of 12+ team members with me being the youngest . The age group is so vast , I am working with a grandmother who must be in her 50s , a mother of two who is in her late 30s , a father who is in his 40s .. and I am in the 20s ! Even though nobody told me anything , I could sense the distance in their approach , they speculated my worthiness and my abilities to do the same task. I wonder how they must be feeling to see the young generation be at par with them and one day even surpass them. And I realized it when a consultant younger than me proved to be much better than me at work - I admired her capabilities and made a mental note of things I could improve on , but somewhere it did sting.
I am all in to support the new talent, applaud the next generation and give credit to people who truly deserve it .Promotions , accolades and awards should be based on performance, abilities and capabilities regardless of age. It just takes a while for the understanding to sink in.