I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines' with Watson

The latest topic of conversation seems to be "so what are your plans for Valentine's Day" ? Till now we haven't celebrated the day as such - restaurants are crowded , winter weather is not suitable for outdoors and so we prefer to stay at home and treat it as any other day . Well this year I have something special planned and its nowhere close to romanticism - I am planning to watch Watson on Jeopardy !!

So who is this guy I have fallen in awe and wonder with ?? Check it out ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyIf5oIjIC8

IBM is taking artificial intelligence to a completely new level - its a competition now between the human brain in its raw form and the brain behind creating smarter and smarter machines - wonder who'll emerge victorious !!
I was watching the NOVA episode on the same - Smartest machine on earth and I couldn't take my eyes / attention off of it. Its a daunting task - to teach a machine to understand human language with it puns and subtle meanings ( eg a machine needs to be feed basic rules like if a person is dead , it remains dead forever ). Even though it has a vast database and a super fast retrieval speed , it has failed in the mock shows on some basic stuff - how can a machine identify gender based on a name ? How does a machine comprehend '40s is the same as years 1940 - 1949 ? That has driven the IBM think tank to develop machine learning - so now Watson can learn based on past patterns , some thing that humans have had a niche for.

Doesn't it sound amazing and interesting ?? Find out more at :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_%28artificial_intelligence_software%29