I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Little wonders

The medical profession these days is pure money making business without any touch of nobleness to it. Doctors are overbooked , don't have time for you , might not have energy left to listen to you or are plain disinterested in finding the root cause. Curious that I am by nature , I need to understand the 'why' in everything that happens around. So I have been playing 'Doctor- Doctor' with myself at home and trying to understand what actually happens in my body if I have discomfort or I suspect I might be having some disorders. And the more I read , the more amazed I am at the beautiful concert played by every organ and cell in the body.
We have dangerous metals in our composition in minuscule amounts , yet those grain size amounts impact our entire well being - less than that would lead to deficiency , more would be poisonous. The fist-sized heart defies gravity , pumping blood to every corner of the body ,be it standing , sleeping or working out. The pituitary gland is the size of a pea and yet it is the most crucial part of the brain controlling the flow of hormones in the entire body. We have more than a million light receptors on the retina. The electrical signals sent from the brain travel at a whooping 270 mph. The statistics are mind boggling. I was just out of memory on my laptop and it made me realize how powerful our brains must be. I have overloaded mine with people's data,equations and theories, languages(spoken and programming) ,memories ,tons of information of the past years and yet it has never complained till date. We need to sleep and relax , are bored of the same work routine , need a vacation from time to time ... but our heart never takes a vacation , the lungs don't complain of the same job performed every millisecond and our stomach never goes on strike. Its a humbling feeling to see how wonderfully each cell plays its part in the orchestra being performed .
I can imagine what a roller coaster ride the organs , enzymes , hormones go through if I push down junk through my throat . And I am not saintly either. I do have my days when I gobble down ice cream or am tempted to eat cakes and chips , but I do my best to limit them. Now I have become more of a mindful eater realizing the feats of tiny wonders in me.
Kudos to the most intricate and super powerful system on earth - the human machine !!!