I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Purpose In Life ???

Isn't this supposed to be a life long activity ? To decipher the meaning of your existence ? Or a mid life crisis question when people pause and realize they wasted half of their life without doing anything purposeful and the sand clock is ticking away furiously ?

The way I have understood life so far is that there is a selfish motive behind almost anything. A person gets married so they can experience family life, companionship and not be left lonely. Earlier people had kids so there would be someone to take care of them in their old age. Nowadays people have kids so they can atleast experience parenthood first hand. So it really isn't a choice for a new life , or is it ? Either ways a new life is born on this planet and is expected to live an average x number of years - might as well spend those years fruitfully. Appreciate what life has to offer - natural beauty,relations,food,festivities,sports, entertainment ...

But I have no clue what my higher purpose in life is. There are a variety of people I see around and admire. I recently saw a video of a man who collects money and uses it to provide clean water to the villages of Africa. Then they have PETA, WWF and other related organizations that care for and respect every inhabitant of this planet. There are some noble medical practitioners (sadly a small percentage now) who change people's lives for the better. And there are some very simple and down to earth people who posses virtues of touching your life with a far reaching positive impact.It's a long list of possibilities and unfortunately I don't belong to any of those categories - but it's a long journey of self discovery and self realization and I hope to reach there eventually.