I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Friday, October 14, 2011

Work Ethics


Posting a blog I wrote in Dec 2010 :
Yesterday we watched a movie 'Flash of a Genius' ... its based on a true story of the inventor of intermittent windshield wiper and his patent infringement case against Ford corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns). My mind just revolved around the story till I fell asleep . Even now I am not able to decide what is morally wrong and right in that situation . Somebody stole his invention and installed it on millions of their product but it took him a lifetime to fight for it and in the process lost his wife , children and all the quality years he could have spent with them .

And I battle with such moral questions everyday . I am finding it so difficult to get a job here with financial year ending , my job profile , work authorization status etc . But I see others don't mind using influence or social networking to promote their friends , get a job for their spouse in the same organization - without any consideration for the qualifications of the position . A three year experience is easily ballooned to ten years - merit has no relevance today . I think I have no negotiation skills when it comes to salary discussions - why do organizations have this disparity? Why not pay everyone at the same position at par ? I used to find it so demeaning and frustrating to see someone work less than what I did and take home way much more than me . And these organizations proudly claim to be Equal Opportunity Employers - I really don't buy that . Promotions is another ballgame - your work does not matter so much as your ability to please your boss . Though I have never involved myself into office politics and don't intend to , as you progress it is impossible not to get caught into the whirlpool .

I really wonder how the older generation worked - they used to work for decades in an organization and people at work used to be second to family . Today workplace is just a money making factory with no attachments . Ethics and morals have a place - but only in the corporate policy handbook .