I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When I get older ....

I loved the FIFA sensational song : When I get older , I will be stronger ... have heard it so many times now that its ingrained in my memory . The words have so much of depth to it - as I get older I feel I am getting wiser . I have seen so many people around me lament about getting older , they feel they are getting weaker , their memory and energy store is depleting and they dread what's to come next . I have never felt scared of growing up , looking forward to a more mature and better me . And I truly love the saying 'Growing old is natural , growing up is optional '.

Majority of the people whom I have asked how they envision their old age say 'spend time with grandchildren' and 'take up a spiritual practice' . And I am left in wonder . That's good that people are thinking of experiencing their spiritual side some time in their lifetime but is the end the best time to do it ? Whats the point of realizing your mistakes when the actions have long been committed ? Or you look back and yearn to live your life all over again in a different way ? Wouldn't it be better that you improve along the way so you make your life an enriching experience ? I do understand that the youth and middle age is the peak time of our life to set up a career , earn , enjoy , delve in family activities - 24 hours seem short for that , but at least we can make small beginnings . Like reading a little on different practices once in a while to see which one we like or attending a seminar/function a couple of times a year .

I can feel the rigidity in our Indian practices where spirituality is connected solely to the temple or place of worship . To indulge in spirituality means to decide on a God figure and say mantras or perform strict rituals - with the meaning or reasoning left unknown . I see the importance of the temple - people take out time to explicitly visit so they can carve out some time for worship from their busy schedule , but any day I would prefer visiting a small unknown quiet temple where I can unburden my thoughts and feelings at length rather than visiting a famous temple - waiting for hours in the queue only to be shooed away by the pandit after stepping inside for hardly seconds and the noise good enough to tear your eardrums .

As I explore more , there are so many other sober practices which achieve the same objective of the temple - calming the mind , taking you to higher levels of consciousness , give you opportunities for reflection .. only if we can open up our heart and mind and give them a try !!!