I live by these

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway"

Meaning : Science is not everything , a living being has enormous potential and ability to surpass expectations !

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Forces of Nature

Summers here are always filled with T-Storms and the threat of hurricanes along the coast . I have witnessed two strong storms this summer till now and the memory of thunder and lightning is still fresh in my mind . All the past summers I would be happily clicking away at work in a concrete building or deep asleep in my cozy bed . But this summer I have had a frightening experience with T-storms in the middle of the day when I have been alone at home and wide awake . The stormy winds hitting the window panes , the loud clasp of thunder , the sight of lightning striking at a distance were more than enough for a timid me to get afraid . It is during such moments that you get up close and personal to the fury of nature . And it is well justified too - after all everything follows Newton's 3rd law of motion "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" . So as we keep pushing environment to the extreme - from oil spills to excess carbon , there is bound to be a retaliation. And we haven't been kind to our fellow inhabitants on earth too . I read in a mail some time back that it is a sport in Denmark to kill Dolphins and bleed them to death . They are not hunted for their meat , just a ritual of displaying manhood . We saw an IMAX movie recently which stated that a hundred years ago , an entire species of fishes were killed in the Great Lakes because they looked ugly . They were not used for anything , not even fuel , and left lying on the shores to die . Why do people do such cruel acts ? And then we watch in horror when hurricanes , earthquakes and tornadoes kill people by the millions or when people are attacked by bears and sharks - as if we didn't see it coming .

There are few organizations of environmentalists and researchers who really have a heart and are trying their best to protect the endangered species and environment. Kudos to them for doing the morally right thing . There is a religion in India called Jainism - I am not a very big fan of it , but I really appreciate their basic thought - to live and let live . And speaking of moral grounds , I still can't make up my mind if vegetarianism is the right way of life . I have heard and read on both sides of the argument and it doesn't help me reach any conclusion . The law of the jungle dictates one animal eats another for survival - thats how all species on earth have been created . And vegetarians eat plants which are living beings too - so is it better to eat a living being that cannot cry or bleed when you cut it ? On the other hand , vegetarianism is much better for the environment in atleast reducing the atrocities that are done on the animals , in human conditions in which the animals are kept and slaughtered - making you less guilty .

Well we have atleast made a start - nowadays we get cage free eggs , try to get antibiotics free meat , reduced our intake of meat drastically , reduced our consumption of plastic , throw all our paper waste at the paper recycle facility and like wise with plastic products .

I would love to hear your ideas - small things that you do for the environment which we can adopt too , or the bigger picture of your thoughts on vegetarianism . Together we can make a difference !!!