I can write an entire post on the influence of books on my life but will save that for later. Choosing four books has definitely been an arduous task and since I cheated last time, I'll follow the rules this time :-) .. so here's the bookworm's list ...
Title : Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps
Author: Alan and Barbara Pease
I enjoyed reading this book - it depicts the differences between the sexes with a logical and humorous explanation for each. Though everything might not be applicable in the world today where men and women have exchanged so much of their responsibilities, its still fun to read how the brain wiring has evolved over the ages. There are some things which hit right home and give you a good laugh at peculiar things you or your partner might be doing but never gave a second thought to the why behind it. Their second book 'Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes' is a good read too.
Title : The Road Less Travelled
Author: M. Scott Peck
I usually don't read self help books, especially the professional ones like the One Minute Manager or How to Win People etc ... the content is just not realistic enough or is too manipulative ...I have read a lot of other books like the Alchemist, Who Moved my Cheese, The Energy bus where the author has woven a story around an informative, educational message .. they might all be best sellers but failed to influence me ... however this book has been an exception. I do not remember specifics about the content since I read it a decade ago but I was very impressed with it to the extent that I have xeroxed and saved some pages for reference. It takes a closer look at relationships, love and other related matter from a psychology point of view - a very different read for the serious bent of mind.
Title : Digital Fortress
Author: Dan Brown
I am not a fiction reader at all - I tried a lot though : have read a lot of Sidney Sheldon and other books here and there but somehow I never enjoyed reading them. The stories are thrilling and gripping but for me if there isn't anything I get to learn from it then its of no value. With an exception only for Dan Brown though - I have read and loved all his books published till date from Angels and Demons to The Lost Symbol. The amount of research done on the various controversial topics is applaudable and he and his team (am sure its not a one man effort) have woven fiction and reality so well that as a reader you can't distinguish between the two. I have studied Cryptography as part of my Engineering course and so Digital Fortress just blew my mind though all his other books are equally worthy !
Title : Disney Comics
